BlueBRIDGE | Gateway
This web page was an access point to a number of VREs deployed and operated in the context of the BlueBRIDGE project. Thanks to the iMarine initiative, some of these VREs are nowadays operated and accessible via the iMarine Gateway, a cloud-based community platform powered by D4Science to help improve fisheries management. Other VREs are openly accessible via the D4Science Gateway.
About BlueBRIDGE and i-Marine
This web page was an access point to a number of Virtual Research Environments deployed and operated in the context of the BlueBRIDGE project, which overall objective was to support capacity building in interdisciplinary research communities actively involved in increasing scientific knowledge about resource overexploitation, degraded environment and ecosystem with the aim of providing a more solid ground for informed advice to competent authorities and to enlarge the spectrum of growth opportunities as addressed by the Blue Growth Societal Challenge.
This BlueBRIDGE gateway has served more than 2.500 users. These users will be supported thanks to the iMarine initiative, which was launched in 2015 to establish and operate an e-infrastructure supporting the principles of the ecosystem approach to fisheries management and conservation of marine living resources, and it ultimately aims at supporting FAO's Blue Growth Initiative.
Read more at FAO - News Article: FAO and Italy’s National Research Council strengthen iMarine ties.
i-Marine supported VREs
D4Science supported VREs
About Dismissed Virtual Research Environments
BlueBRIDGE for aquaculture provided aqua-farming companies with the capacities necessary for performance estimation, benchmarking, decision making and strategic investment analysis.
These VREs supported the performance evaluation, benchmarking and decision making process of Greeks aquafarming companies, to improve its profitability and minimise environmental impacts. The VRE enabled Aquaculture aqua farmers to evaluate and optimise their performance in terms of production Key Performance Indicators (KPIs), carry out benchmarking analysis comparing their performance against best practices and the competition, and perform a techno economic investment analysis.
Besides the Aquaculture Companies related VREs above described 3 other VREs were offered within this aquaculture context:
- The Aquaculture Training Lab VRE was conceived to provide its users with a set of aquafarming assessment tools enabling them to perform evaluation growth analysis and techno-economic investment analysis;
- The Strategic Investment analysis and Scientific Planning/Alerting (SIASPA) VRE offered geospatial multi-factor optimization services that supported intelligent identification of locations of interest for investors and stakeholders (from an economic and environmental point of view) seeking optimization of intended investments. Furthermore, the analytics functions that were executed over the existing or candidate aquaculture zones could facilitate scientists seeking areas of environmental importance;
- The Sustainable Blue Economy VRE offered a complete set of tools developed for the Blue Economy community, targeting stakeholders, investors, researchers and others. It offered a set of aquafarming assessment tools enabling them to perform evaluation growth analysis, techno-economic investment analysis and geospatial multi-factor optimization services for intelligent identification of locations of interest for investors and stakeholders (from an economic and environmental point of view) seeking optimization of intended investments.
BlueBRIDGE for Scientific training support allowing scientific training courses to be developed and delivered in a cost-effective way. .
These VREs were conceived to support a number of ICES training courses performed by ICES, the International Council for the Exploration of the Sea in Denmark. These VREs were equipped with the following facilities:
- Workspace: for sharing objects of interest;
- Social networking area: for supporting the discussions among members;
- R Studio as-a-Service: a facility enabling users to access a fully-fledged RStudio® working environment directly from the VRE. This environment is integrated with the rest of VRE\VLab facilities, e.g. it is possible to use files from the workspace and to store new files into the workspace.